The original aims of the AHRU as set out by Prof Flisher were to:
- facilitate cutting edge inter-disciplinary research that addresses key national public adolescent health priorities
- promote networking among adolescent health researchers, practitioners and policy makers
- increase the profile of UCT with regard to world-class adolescent health research
- provide policy consultation at local, provincial, national and international levels, and
- increase and improve educational offerings in adolescent health at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.